Friday, June 11, 2010

Emergency Room Visit...:(

Last night we took Cole to the ER due to a minor concussion. Around 6pm last night Cole and Annie were excitedly watching a bunny out the sunroom window. Annie may have been a bit too excited so close to Cole and knocked him over. Cole landed face first on the tile floor - and of course all of this happened two feet away from me! I scooped Cole up and managed to get a wet rag for his bloody nose without getting blood on my white shirt or anywhere in the house! Way to go Mom!!!

Anyway, we returned to the sunroom to sit and watch the bunny and nurse the poor babies nose- I really didn't think too much of the fall given it didn't seem hard or wasn't from a high distance. It appeared to me that he hit straight on his nose. I didn't see him hit his head at all.  About 30 minutes later Cole and I went to read a book on the couch and he started vomiting. Luckily DJ got home just in time to help clean up - :) although it made Daddy gag. So, I had to finsh the clean up and  Cole snuggled with Daddy; seconds later  second round of vomiting came. We started getting a little nervous considering his fall but came to the conclusion it must be from him swallowing some blood. Daddy went to change his clothes and Cole and I went to "chill out" in the bathroom. We weren't going to risk dirtying anymore blankies or clothes. It wasn't 10 minutes later and Cole started vomiting again. We immediately called the doctor on call to see what we should do - while we were waiting for a return call, Cole vomited again and there was a small amount of blood in it. We decided it was best to load up and get to the ER.

After a few hours at the ER the conclusion was Minor Concussion w/o Loss of Consciousness. We gathered our discharge papers and headed home for a long evening. I was too worried to let Cole sleep and we were both exhausted. I had him under tight watch and was just too scared to sleep. We started in our bed, went to the couch, tried the rocking chair and ended up back on the couch. Don't know how much we actually slept but he is taking an early nap...

Cole seems to be doing okay today. He's been playing with his cars watching all the activity in the front yard and played a bit outside. He doesn't have an appetite and is still a bit pale but is able to keep fluids down. We have a follow up visit today at 2pm -


  1. How is little Cole now? How are mommy and daddy? This sounds very scary!

  2. What a fright for all of you! How are his teeth? How did the follow up visit go? I am thinking about you and hope all is well.